11.08.2006

Podcasts

One day my ambassador friend told me that more and more people were asking about Podcasts when they came for a campus tour. It astounded us both not only that these people had the guts to ask such a nerdy question, but that they are actually being used more and more frequently. Now I've personally never had to use a podcast for a class. And unfortunately, up until now I've never had to make one. But as part of a new technology centered curriculum in the Education Department, I am required not only to create a podcast but also to evaluate one. Apparently, podcasts are even more popularly used in the elementary setting. Since my parents were once from Phoenix and I've also visited there on several occasions, I decided to pick a podcast about Arizona's capitol. I was surprised to hear that the podcast was narrated by a group of second graders. Now apart from the podcast being one of the cutest things I've ever heard, it also has some very admirable qualities as far as podcasts go. The podcast was able to hold my attention remarkably well for a file made specifically for elementary students. They had chapters devoted to Phoenix's weather, tourist attractions, sports teams, wildlife, economy, and "famous friends." Apparently Alice Cooper is a huge fan of fabulous Phoenix. However, if any of these kids honestly know who Alice Cooper is they have been exposed to metal music far too prematurely. Each of the chapters had interesting musical segues (oftentimes featuring the classroom a cappella group) between one another to make for little dead air during the podcast. The students themselves were also pretty fluent and comfortable making the podcast except for a few kids who were obviously petrified. I, personally, can't blame them. It was fairly apparent that the students were given scripts to read from since most of them didn't even attempt to use a regular "speaking voice," but I didn't see this as terribly indecorous. Even though the students stumbled over a few sentences, paused in the middle of words, and often spoke in trembling voices, it was not distracting or even unpleasant. Variety and mustard are after all the spice of life.

Here is the website where the podcast is located if you are interested:

http://learninginhand.com/OurCity/index.html

No comments: