11.13.2006

Emos versus Goths

I was thinking to myself the other day as I lay peacefully in bed listening to the Boss' "Nebraska" and on the verge of tears, why do I listen to sad music? What do all those crazy emo-kids have up their sleeve? As I pondered this, I wondered as well why we engage in any piece of culture that depresses us. Then again, is there any point in creating something that ultimately brings us down despite how beautiful it may be? The answer is obvious, but the explanation in my mind's eye is altogether frustrating. I suppose there is the simple novelty of it. If we are fed one single emotion through every genre of every art, eventually it will lose its novelty. I could postulate, based on my own reactions, that I can chew on a movie the most when it finds some sort of happy medium, or in this case, an indifferent medium. If it's too sad I get bored and if it's too happy I get skeptical. But this is not altogether true. I've seen "Schindler's List," a thoroughly depressing movie, and I enjoyed it. And I've seen "Executive Decision," which is a thoroughly mirthful movie primarily because Steven Seagal dies in the first five minutes, and of course I loved it. Besides, who digs apathy, right? Not this guy. Anyways, I suppose I treat music the same way. Of all the Bruce Springsteen albums to like, my favorite is his most depressing. I've also found that my favorite Led Zeppelin songs are their saddest. So what gives? Do these songs make me want to curl up in my sock drawer and die? Yes. But do these songs also in some strange way make me happy? Yes, also. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that there is something inherently tragic about beauty itself. After all, the prettiest girl on the Earth is also the loneliest. I know one of my roommates would agree that there is something beautiful about tragedy as well, that crazy, goth weirdo. I guess the only way to explain it is that there are times in our lives when we need to be emotionally smacked in the face. Depressing movies, books, music, art, etc. serve as the best wake-up calls culture is capable of because in some roundabout way they make life seem all the more precious. I know that if I am ever feeling excessively complacent and need a swift, emotional kick in the nads, my good pal Bruce is there to lend a helping hand....er, foot, rather.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so, whos the most beautiful girl on Earth?