11.07.2006

Dreams of a Bygone Whippersnapper

So I'm in this crazy English class called Adolescence and Literature and we talked about our old high school days. It seemed like almost half the class had a pretty dreary view of high school, but everyone kind of agreed that it was mostly a blur and I would have to agree with that. If I based my high school experience on the few memories I had, it would be a rather dull existence watching Jared Meyer squeeze himself into his locker every day and hijacking Mr. Ingram's computer whenever we could. And yet, every time I remember those times, it still seems funny. And whenever I reminisce about High School in general I can't help but smile. I went to a small high school in Tulsa called Cascia Hall. My graduating class was around 80. I knew everyone in my class and, although I only liked a select few, I loved being in such a small, manageable social cocoon. The one thing that I think that I did miss out on going to a small school is that there was a lot less drama. And let's face it. I thrive on drama. One thing I sort of regret about High School in general is not being in town for the summer. Since my dad lived in Missouri for occupational reasons, I spent my summers with him crafting model airplanes and playing golf. Don't get me wrong, hanging out with my dad is a blast. Honestly, if I'd spent my summers in Tulsa during High School I probably would've ended up palying video games and reading Goosbumps. But the summer after I graduated, I was finally able to stay in T-town and it was something spectacular. I spent most of my time biking around town, camping, eating organic food, and playing frisbee and hackey sack; basically living in a hippy's paradise. Quite the extremes in retrospect. I remember so little of it now, but it seems judging from the few memories that I have that it was one of the happiest times in my life. Anyways, in the same literature class the teacher asked who would ever want to go back to high school if they could. I rose my hand immediately. I think the shy, quiet kid I once was in high school might have missed out on some of the great things about High School like parties, brunches, debutantes...that sort of thing. Plus I'd be able to drop knowledge like crazy. And let's face it. Chicks dig brains. They can't help it.

No comments: