10.01.2006

We Are Not Alone!!!

So I was perusing Amazon the other day in hopes of finding something interesting to buy. And eventually my interests were bent towards 80’s music. Needless to say, I had little choice in the matter. So I type in ‘80’s compilations’ just to see what’s floating out there, and BAM… 3 hours are gone. Believe it or not there are loads and loads of 80’s comp. series out there and as far as I could tell each series had at least a dozen volumes. Apparently, there was like an entire decade of music made in the 80’s. Go figure. Anyways, one of the most well known of these series is “New Wave Hits of the 80’s” and you should hear some of the stuff these people said in the Customer Review section. Now, I’m a guy who digs his 80’s music, but these people are borderline militant. The owner of the first comment struck me as particularly sardonic, so much so that it forced a chuckle out of me.

Fascist_OMD_BachXer wrote: Sure beats the heck out of today's "music."

BlindedbyXyence wrote: It also reminded me that there was a standard of music and talent in the 80's that we don't see nowadays (sorry, Eminem, but you suck!)

Depeche Mormon76 wrote: 80’s music is basically the best music ever. PERIOD.

FlockOSeagrams wrote: This compilation and all of its counterparts are prime examples of music in its supreme form. In fact, considering the drivel we listen to today, I would go so far as to say that the 80’s was the age of musical enlightenment. Simon Lebon was Rousseau, Morrissey was John Locke, and David Byrne was Benjamin freakin’ Franklin!!!

Ok, so maybe that last quote was a little fabricated. Ok, I forged the last one altogether. And I forged the names to protect their identities, but this was basically what they said. Ok, fine. I forged the whole thing, but you still get the idea. I still agree with these people despite the fact they don't exist. Most people underestimate how influential it was. The 80’s gave birth to rave culture as we know it, the hip-hop dynasty, and a smorgasbord of indie bands we now have coming out the butthole. Apart from this, 80’s music is just plain exciting and fun. So my theory on 80’s music basically runs something like this: 80’s music = Good. This is somewhat similar to my theory on milk which reads: milk + X = good. We all know that milk can’t really stand by itself because it isn’t exactly the best thirst-quencher out there, but it goes well with basically anything.


Top 7 favorite 80’s songs at present:

  1. Kirsty Maccoll – A New England
  2. Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart
  3. Duran Duran – Union Of The Snake
  4. Squeeze – Another Nail In My Heart
  5. Big Country – In A Big Country
  6. Happy Mondays – God’s Cop
  7. Total Coelo – I Eat Cannibals

p.s. I actually haven’t even heard this last one, but I figured the title alone made it a shoe-in.

p.p.s. Those quotes actually were pulled from Amazon except for the last one. Seriously.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thoughts on milk + Chinese food?

Anonymous said...

P.S.
I have issues with bands who use their names in the titles of their songs. Not knowing anything about Big Country, I've decided to jump to the conclusion that it is not worth my time. Or is it that the only song worth listening to is the one with the band name in the title... I forget

Anonymous said...

Is #6 really even actually 80'S?