10.18.2006

Prohibition P.I. Turns Party Animal

My senior year at college has seen quite a few changes. And it seems that in the next few weeks I will be attending events that celebrate these changes. First off, ever since my freshman year I've always subconsciously looked down upon alchohol - no, not just because liquor stores were made for short people (It's funny. Laugh. Now.) Heck, I was a regular Elliot Ness freshman year. Turning down drinks, shootin' down smugglers, blowin' up speak-easies. Sure I was responsible for Sean Connery getting riddled with tommy-gun fire, but I think we all knew in our hearts it was a necessary sacrifice. But those times have changed. And I guess some wing of my moral edifice fell under disrepair since then. I personally like to think that it's been been lightly refurbished by some European Interior Decorator with a penchant for postmodern upheaval. But more than likely it's been demolished to make more room for recreational activities. Either way it's a bad analogy. Basically I've come to realize that there is nothing inherently wrong with alcohol. But before I came to this conclusion I was among the opinion that I would never touch the stuff. This opinion was also nourished by a circle of friends who kept me company my first three years of college and who shared my opinions on alcohol and debauchery in general. If you're wondering what our stance was on debauchery, let me tell you that we were all for it except of course when drinking was involved. Despite our similar beliefs, we have begun to see less and less of each other this year and the circle itself has become fragmented. Not to say that we had a falling out, but let's just say that our paths diverged from changing circumstances and residences. It's kind of amazing how big a difference a couple hundred yards between people can make. At any rate, in a few weeks we're throwing a party with all of these old friends to see how they are doing. And now that we are all of age and seem to be less ensconced in our stances we decided to make the occasion even more memorable by allowing alcohol. We'll probably end up doing the same things we always did: board games, movies, sock wrestling. You get the picture. Yet for some reason it seems like it will all be so much more...interesting.

No comments: